Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blog #5: Muslim group disagrees with LittleBigPlanet delay decision

Blog #5 topic (oh boy oh boy) is: Find a text about religion/spirituality/belief/non-belief. Although this seems really vague, it actually took me a little while to find one. Anyways, I did. A while ago, right before Little Big Planet (a big-name PS3 exclusive) came out, there was a dispute. And a delay. One of the songs in the game (and this game has tons of cultural songs) had direct quotes from the Qur'an in the lyrics. When developer Media Molecule and Sony chose to delay LBP because they needed to fix the song, they did it because they thought it would offend Muslims. They were wrong. Actually, the exact opposite happened. M. Zuhdi Jasser, M.D., president of the non-profit American Islamic Forum for Democracy actually said that he was offended by the delay, saying that it went against free speech. I really find this interesting. I probably would have done the same thing as Sony, but I wouldn't know why I did (if that makes any sense). I would feel like people would be offended, but I don't know why. People are WAY too sensitive, let's end it with that.

No comments: